Monday, October 5, 2009

MAD MONDAYS!!!

LADY BITS AND LIPSTICK!


So this week (ok, always) I'm MAD for Money Savings! I'm also mad for keeping women healthy and eliminating some of the awful diseases that face so many of us. So, I figure when companies get behind our boobies and other lady parts, I think we should get behind their products.

That being said, here's a little list of hinty-hintz about where to get some good deals for some good causes! (and remember to go to http://thinkbeforeyoupink.org for the skinny on how much of your purchases go towards the cause of your choice!)

  • ULTA has my fave hairspray in a special Breast Cancer Awareness pink can and it's $5.99. That's right, BIG SEXY SPRAY 'N' PLAY and ROOT BOOST (regularly $16ish each) are just $5.99. Stock up, that's all I'm sayin' (available in stores only).
  • Also from ULTA and Sephora, the Smashbox PHOTO FINISH LIPSTICK TO BENEFIT SUSAN G. KOMEN FOR THE CURE , $22. A portion of proceeds benefit Susan G. Komen for the Cure.
  • Everyone knows how I love a good "kit" and this is even better because it supports the Ovaries!It's the L’Oreal Color of Hope Cosmetics Bag, $29.95 at drugstores. $5 from each cosmetics bag sold goes to the Ovarian Cancer Research Fund.

So many cosmetic companies are now on board with exclusive products for National Breast Cancer Awareness Month, that I feel no guilt when I buy a cute little pink lip gloss or compact or body wash whose proceeds benefit Breast Cancer Research. I can’t wait to see the adorable packaging and pretty pink products that are limited editions for the month.

On a more serious note however, I have recently been touched way-too-close-to-home as friends and family have found themselves battling cancer. Here are just a few:

  • My gorgeous friend (who's under 35) recently had a double mastectomy and is now a survivor. If you are not regularly checking you breast for irregular lumps and need to learn how now. Feel your boobies, girls!
  • My mother found herself in need of an emergency hysterectomy at the exact same time and I'm happy to say is now cancer free as well. Always a very logical women, she is lucky to have had the presence of mind to go in when "something just didn't feel right". Forty eight hours later she was in surgery and preparing for the biggest fight of her life since I tried to leave the house in a mini-skirt at 14.


Luckily I still have both of these wonderful women in my life, but more research is needed to ensure that the proper care before, during and after cancer is available to women everywhere. Hopefully choosing to buy products with a bit of philanthropy will help!


Muah, Moi

No comments:

Post a Comment