No Foundation Foundation is being touted as the "...first anti-aging finishing product..." and it makes perfect sense in the new "real skin is in" days we're living in! Oddly, I haven't really encountered much hype about this product, but that doesn't surprise me since Perricone takes a silent-but-deadly-approach to product marketing. (I know if I see the Perricone name, I snatch it up & know it won't disappoint.) I’ve also been rereading Dr. Perricone’s book – The Perricone Prescription (and eating lots of salmon!!) so this was kind of a serendipitous GWP.
I am always on the hunt for a lightweight moisturizer with:
- DMAE – dimethylaminoethanol – topical application improves appearance of aging skin
- ALA – alpha lipoic acid – topical application arms skin with anti-oxidant protection and boosts skin’s radiance
What I got was very possibly *hooked* on No Foundation Foundation because it contains both DMAE and ALA. But wait, there's more....this does even more that make my skin happy! It does all this stuff, too:
- provides a non-chemical SPF 30 with micronized Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide
- contains Vitamin C Ester (another super anti-oxidant that boosts skin radiance/glow and smooths the skin’s surface)
- contains Dimethicone and Cyclomethicone – (silicone oil and silicone derivative that are found in many popular foundation primers and give a smooth lustrous appearance to the skin)
- is considered “oil-free” by FDA labeling requirements (though it does contain traces of Lemon Peel Oil, Cedrus Atlantica Bark Oil, and Bulnesia Sarmientoi Wood Oil)
- is tinted and offers translucent natural coverage (think tinted moisturizer)
On paper, this is an all in one product dream come true!! It is a bit spendy at $50 for one ounce but I truly believe that if you properly apply this (or any) product properly, a little goes a long way. Nevertheless, it has all the promise of something I will love, long time.
Here's a quote from a fellow makeup slut like myself:
"After several weeks of use, I’m not sure I love this product as much as I wanted to, but I do really like it. I think the major drawback, for me, has been that it has an ever so slight heavy/tacky feeling. In my humid Texas climate (especially in the summer), this is not a feeling I want. So, I’ve actually taken to mixing a drop of my daytime moisturizer with the No Foundation Foundation. This makes the consistency JUST RIGHT; however, it kind of knocks down the precedent of being a perfect all in one item. The coverage is what you would expect from a tinted moisturizer – it’s very very natural and translucent. If I desire a bit more coverage, I can dust a little mineral makeup over it. As a side-note – I noticed in various reviews on Sephora’s web site that some people have complained about a fishy smell. I can’t say I thought the product smelled “fishy’ per se. I did notice a distinctive supplement/citrus type smell that completely dissipates after application.
Bottom line: I will keep using this until I’ve finished the product, and I might re-purchase. It’s the closest so far to my ideal all in one for day. However, I will probably keep my eyes open for the appearance of my dream all in one product with a bit lighter consistency."
I have not experienced it in the Texas humidity yet, but I have pranced around the gym in it and I must say that it performed much better than I did...through the Ab Blaster class and Boot Camp...it didn't run into my eyes and my pretty rosy post-gym glow could be appreciated by all because my skin could be seen through the NFF.
Here's the skinny from Sephora:
- What it is: An age-fighting makeup that provides natural coverage and non-chemical SPF 30 protection.
- What it is formulated to do: Perricone MD No Foundation Foundation offers translucent coverage allowing the natural health and glow of skin to shine through while protecting the complexion against damaging UV rays. It works to correct skin undertones and offers all-day moisture, providing an even, dewy finish. A dose of specially treated pigments, blended with light diffusing mica, instantly soften the look of lines, wrinkles, and pores, creating a flawlessly radiant look.
- What it is formulated WITHOUT:- Parabens
- What else you need to know:This formula includes anti-aging actives, DMAE and Alpha Lipoic Acid, which help to firm skin and reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles over time.
So there you have it, my Lemmings...MamaMamaMakeup likey-likey.
Shannon the MakeUp Artist